First and foremost it should be recalled that meteorology is not an exact science, especially in the spring or late summer, and as such no final decision can be taken until 24 hours prior to the start of the trip.
In the event that bad weather prevents a trip arranged on one of our boats from going ahead, we will take the following steps:
1.1 We will seek an alternative date
The most obvious option is to try to find an alternative date. Where we are unable to offer an alternative date, or where the new date cannot be accommodated by the customer, we will offer an alternative itinerary for the same day.
Even on the same day we will seek to adjust the time of departure and time of arrival to avoid any possible bad weather, in so far as this is within our power. For example, if the forecast says that it is going to rain non-stop as from 18:00 and there is an all-day trip booked from 12:00 to 20:00, we will change the times of the trip so that it runs from 10:00 to 18:00.
Any changes to the date or to the times of the trip will not give rise to a reduction in our fees or contractual conditions, unless the duration of the trip is reduced. In this case, a new fee shall be applied in accordance with the new trip duration.
Under no circumstances may a decision be taken to shorten the trip once it is underway, leading to a reduced fee.
1.2 Alternative itinerary
It sometimes occurs that meteorological conditions are adverse for sailing only in one specific part of the island. In this case, the boat trip will go ahead with an itinerary that is different from what was initially agreed, and the itinerary for which conditions are adverse will be unavailable to customers.
For example, for one-day trips by sailing boat or catamaran, we normally offer two kinds of route:
- Route number 1: A trip taking in the best beaches and bays around Ibiza, departing from the port of San Antonio. This route is more ‘sheltered’, and therefore less likely to be cancelled because of bad weather.
- Route number 2: Trip from the south of Ibiza (Salinas beach) to the Ses Illetes beach in Formentera. This route is more ‘exposed’ and is therefore more likely to be affected by bad weather, and especially groundswells, which make the trip uncomfortable or prevent it from going ahead.
In the event that the customers decline this new itinerary that has been offered as a result of the bad weather, they will not be entitled to a refund for any sums paid in advance to formalize the reservation.
1.3 Refund of all sums paid in advance
In the event that bad weather prevents the trip from going ahead and we are unable to find an alternative date, and we are unable to offer a comfortable and safe alternative route, all sums paid in advance will be refunded. The refund shall be made within 48h, by way of a bank transfer into the account designated by the customer.
1.4 What do we understand by bad weather?
Bad weather means conditions that either prevent the boat from leaving the harbour, or that prevent the trip from being able to offer complete comfort and safety for our customers. In other words, we want you to spend an unforgettable day on board, but unforgettable for the ‘right’ reasons, not the ‘wrong’ reasons.
Examples of bad weather
- Rough seas are forecast, with waves of over 1 metre in the area where the boat trip is to take place.
- Strong winds are forecast, with speeds of over 20 knots.
- Heavy rain is forecast for a period of time in excess of 20% of the total duration of the trip.
- The forecast predicts that it will be cloudy or not very sunny.
- There is a possibility of light rain for a period of time less than 20% of the total duration of the trip.
- We are cold because we have not read the instructions and have not brought warm clothes with us.
At OlaBoats, we will above all use our common sense. Under no circumstances will we force the trip to go ahead on a day when our customers are not going to enjoy our boats and our islands to the full, and we will be as flexible as possible with regard to itineraries, fees, and pick-up points.
2. Cancellation policy on the part of the customer
In the event that the customer, for whatever reason, including force majeure, is unable to go ahead with the trip that has been booked, or with the weekly rental, all sums paid in advance will be forfeited, unless notice is served more than 90 days in advance of the day of embarkation. Customers who serve notice more than 90 days in advance of the day of embarkation will receive a 50% refund of the sums paid in advance.
3. Cancellation policy on the part of the shipowner
Our company administers a mixed fleet of boats, some of which we own, some of which we merely operate. Those boats that we do not own belong to shipowners who engage us to administer customer bookings through the summer. Sometimes this administration of bookings is not on an exclusive basis, and they work with other booking agents similar to us.
Therefore, in these cases, our company acts merely as an intermediary, with the administration of the boat, rental, and payments processed directly with the shipowner. It is highly unusual, but not impossible, for one of the boats to have a technical problem and thus not be available for the week it has been booked. In this situation or any other where the boat is not available for the week booked, the lessor (the shipowner) will cancel the contract and refund all sums received up to that time, and the lessee and any other passengers will not be entitled to any compensation for this cancellation, or for reimbursement of air tickets, etc..